Climate change and disaster risk management
The Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Research Group emerges from a team of professionals interested in deepening their knowledge in the face of the climate change challenge amidst a growth context in the Peruvian economy where concerns remain about overcoming poverty and exclusion. Climate change is a condition within which Peru has to invent and conceive its development in the short, medium and long term. To do so, Peru needs to integrate diverse contributions from different areas of scientific knowledge: meteorology, environment sciences, oceanography, engineering, biology, geography, medicine, ecology, geophysics, mathematics, statistics, economics, law, social and political sciences, among others.
Develop research and train specialists on climate change issues from a multidisciplinary approach, considering disaster risk management as the most effective way to reduce and mitigate -not only climate change- impacts, but also climate variability. By doing so, we intend to contribute to the development of Peru.
- Develop multidisciplinary research on climate change, ranging from the analysis of climate threats, impacts, vulnerabilities, risks and adaptation proposals.
- Deepen knowledge on the interrelationships between disaster risk management and climate change, and explore methodologies to explain their interconnections and differences.
- Develop research related to disaster risk assessment and management.
- Foster the training of professionals and researchers with the capacity to propose measures to adapt to climate change, and assess and manage the risks associated with variability and climate change.
Lines of action:
- Basic and applied research on variability and climate change, vulnerability and adaptation to climate change, climate change and disaster risk mitigationn.
- Preparation and execution of research projects on issues related to climate variability and change, vulnerability and adaptation to climate change, and disaster risk management.
- Formulation of investment projects with a focus on climate change.
- Academic training of professionals and researchers in areas related to climate change and disaster risk management.
- Develop courses, seminars and workshops on issues related to climate change and disaster risk management.
- Advice to public and private institutions on specific research related to adaptation to climate change and disaster risk management.
- Dissemination of research through books, national and international journals, web portals, forums, symposia, conferences, etc.